Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.

3 more days and I shall be in Australia. I FINALLY GOT Kiren Desai ‘s The Loss of Inheritance whoooopieeee!!! There’s just something rather exhilarating in reading the works of Indian authors. I find their writing style more enjoyable, and I find it thoroughly pleasing to read about confused people {inside joke} So to my dear brother who has already eyed my new prized possession..Get off my back! I am not giving it to you till I am done. Speaking of brother, my eldest has been working on a lot of interesting cases lately. He just finished assisting a murder case and is now assisting a defamation case. It’s so fun to hear the procedures or at least it sounds fun.

I recently read this article on the Pope’s comment and the whole forced debate that resulted after that {published in one of November issues of TIMES} Basically this article contained views of 2 prominent religious leaders. What I found interesting was that while on the surface everyone seemed acceptable to each others views there was still this subtle issue on who is right. What I found more interesting was that these views were not that of neutral parties but that of a Father and a Muslim research fellow at Oxford. And rightly so while the Father talked about what the Pope got right, the researcher talked about where the Pope is still in the dark.
This is what I think of this article. This continuous splitting debate on what is right, who is wrong does not solve anything, it just makes things worse. I totally understand the logical rational of publishing such 2 sided reports which is to allow readers to understand both sides and make an informed individual opinion. But what if you were a devout religionist isn’t it more likely that you would only accept a view that substantiates your religion and practices. So does that rectify the existing misunderstandings?
I just think its so sad that of all things humans have to fight over a divine power that has no solid physical presence. Why won’t anyone fight over the best solution to poverty or child prostitution?


Let me just say here that I am not ANTI anything. I follow Mother Theresa’s pursuit of PRO peace :}

"There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God. I’ve always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic. "

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."

Mother Theresa


Off to dance in 4 hours…

No comments: