Friday, March 2, 2007

The one where i get dramatic..

I am still reeling from my celebratory mood but for the sake of my people who have asked me to blog about my day, I shall do it.
I hold the record in my class for not crying the whole 1.5 years in school. Yes as surprising as that sounds, I was always the one who ended up hugging crying mates and to a certain extent literally “lending” my shoulder to my girl friends. But I broke this record yesterday by crying like a baby except this time it was tears of joy. Yes,” tears of joy” was a phrase I often used in my essays in secondary school, I never understood or experienced what it really meant or felt like till yesterday. And you know what it is the BEST feeling ever!

I woke up last morning hoping I could freeze time like Hiro Nakamura.I refused to get out of bed and face what was about to be results that could potentially “shape” my life. Honestly, this was it. Either I made it or I didn’t. And I desperately hoped that my 1.5 years would not go to waste. I spent the whole morning worrying myself to the limit and thinking of all worst possible circumstances that could possibly result. The ride to school was the longest 15 minutes of my entire life and the walk into the hall was even worse. Every step forward made me think of taking 2 steps back. I met a few of my fellow mates and walked in with them.The first girl we came across ran out crying and we silently looked at each other and smiled. I had to break the silence and say my trademark phrase” Don’t worry. You’ll be fine” {I’ve been telling this to every classmate of mine, irony being I was equally worried}

So I finally reached the table that had A4 plastered on it with loads of juniors watching from the gallery,nosy students poking into your results even before you get it,teachers walking around ready to hug those who did well and console those who did not.One by one my classmates got their results and they walked away.Everyone did well,not just what they wanted.Then it was my turn and I went.My form teacher gave me her stoic look and handed me my folder.The minute I saw it ,I let out a little yelp and cried. “You deserve it, now go apply for uni”is what I got back. I swear that was the best feeling ever. It was just too overwhelming for me. The journey this far has been anything but easy and I am happy I did what I did.

I was looked down upon because I was a normal academic student.People saw me inferior to them.”Stupid” normal student in a “lousy” neighbourhood school is what someone ,a family member to be exact,once refered to me as.And I decided then,if there was anything I had to do was to not only prove myself but to prove in general that yes we take an extra year but give us a chance we will outshine you.Even certain teachers in secondary school told me to opt for a ploy diploma instead of a JC cert because chances of me scoring good grades will be low.In JC they told me that for those with the aggregate of 17 to 20,NUS will be out of reach.

What I want to say is simply, never write someone off. Some people start off strong and fall, like the family member who called me stupid, some people start off slow but catch up before you know it. Everyone is worth giving a chance and never never look down on anyone. It does not matter which school one ends up in. Raffles or Loyang ,Hwa Chong or Serangoon.We all have what it takes it’s just a matter of how bad we want it .Today I am proud to say I was in the Normal Academic stream,I am proud to say I was in Loyang, I am proud to say I made it in SR.All these places have given me more than any top class school could have ever given me.

A big shout out to all my teachers in sec sch ,my tutors in JC , Diana and Jennifer.

I honestly couldn’t have done it without my family and their support. My success is theirs as much as it is mine.

To all those who looked down on me, thank you. You pushed me and gave me reason to work myself.

p.s GOD thanks for sticking to our little agreement {winks..} I owe you big time.

Special mention to my mates for standing by me, and my sec school clique who have seen me through from the start.

STATISTICS DOES NOT DEFINE ME.THEY NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL!

WHOO HOOO!!!

No comments: